Today you are one step closer to healing past wounds, improving relationships, and living a more fulfilled life. I work with individuals, couples, and families using multiple effective treatment approaches including EMDR, Parts Work (Ego State Therapy and Internal Family Systems), and Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy.
As an EMDR certified therapist and EMDRIA approved Consultant, I can help resolve traumatic stress and other associated disorders. Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is an integrative psychotherapy approach that has been extensively researched and proven effective for the treatment of trauma. Scientific research has established EMDR as effective for post-traumatic stress. However, clinicians also have reported success using EMDR in the treatment of the following conditions: panic attacks, complicated grief, dissociative disorders, phobias, pain disorders, performance anxiety, stress reduction, addictions, personality disorders, body dysmorphic disorders, and sexual and/or physical abuse.
As a Marriage and Family Therapist, I recognize that a family’s pattern of behavior influences the individual. I develop interventions to help couples and families develop new strategies and create healthier relationships. Marriage and family therapists treat a wide range of serious clinical problems including depression, marital problems, anxiety, individual psychological problems, and child-parent problems.
As a Professional Counselor, I am here to provide a professional relationship that empowers individuals, families, and groups to overcome obstacles and personal challenges to accomplish mental health, wellness, education, and career goals.
Transfiguration Counseling is unique in that it offers a holistic view of the person based on the belief that everyone is created in the image of God. My treatment approach considers the mind, body, and soul. I integrate empirically-based counseling psychology and marriage and family therapy theories such as cognitive behavioral therapy, EMDR, emotion-focused couple therapy, and parts work with Christian spiritual approaches from both Eastern (Byzantine/ Palamite) and Western (Carmelite, Ignatian, and Salesian) Christianity. I have extensive experience working with Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant Christians. I also specialize in working with clergy and religious (priests, seminarians, religious and consecrated) and those discerning the religious life.
Dr. Gerry is the co-founder of Souls and Hearts, an online mental health education resource (www.soulsandhearts.com), and a past president of the Catholic Psychotherapy Association. He has been a speaker for many professional associations including the Catholic Psychotherapy Association, the Catholic Social Workers’ National Association, the American Psychological Association, and the Association for Spiritual, Ethical and Religious Values in Counseling, among others.
Dr. Crete has brought together a team of excellent counselors, therapists, and coaches at Transfiguration Counseling and Coaching. So, if you are looking for individual counseling, marriage counseling, or family therapy, we are here to help.
More from Dr. Gerry Crete
- Dr. Crete appears on Pints with Aquinas –
- Souls and Hearts podcast Be with the Word – Be With the Word: Psychological Insights to Sunday Mass for Catholics (soulsandhearts.com)
- Faith and Marriage. Dr. Gerry discusses boundaries with Dr. Mario Sacasa – 062 – Boundaries are Good with Dr. Gerry Crete – Faith and Marriage
- Integrity Restored. Dr. Gerry discusses trauma-fueled behaviors with Jim O’Day – Episode 28: Trauma Fueled Behaviors with Dr. Gerry Crete | IntegrityRestored.com
- Dr. Gerry is featured on Hallow, the #1 Catholic App! He discusses relationships and offers four guided meditations. Get a free trial here: https://hallow.ac9mny.net/c/2969053/982234/11108
- Holistic Healing Atlanta. Dr. Gerry discusses the connection between trauma and addiction with Patti DiRito – (398) WHAT DOES TRAUMA HAVE TO FO WITH ADDICTIONS? with Dr Gerry Crete, PhD – YouTube
- Anglican Compass. Dr. Gerry is interviewed by Canon Greg Goebel and discusses pornography and grace – Pornography and Grace: An Interview with Dr. Gerry Crete (anglicancompass.com)
- Dr. Crete speaks with Catholic Marriage and Family Therapist Adam Cross about addiction, and also Dr. Crete speaks on Catholic Late Night crew about addiction and brain science in this two-part series –
- Dr. Gerry is featured with other local mental health professionals in the Georgia Bulletin in a discussion about how to live during the pandemic – https://georgiabulletin.org/news/2020/04/mental-health-professionals-give-tips-on-handling-pandemic-stress/
- The Will Within. Dr. Gerry is interviewed by Regina Pontes in a discussion about anxiety during the pandemic – The Will Within – The Will Within with Dr. Gerry Ken Crete (google.com)
- Dr. Crete was featured in the Georgia Bulletin for his presentation at the annual Catholic Psychotherapy Association in Atlanta, GA in April 2019 – https://georgiabulletin.org/ne…
- Dr. Crete was interviewed for “Pints with Aquinas” with Matt Fradd –
- Here is an article written by Dr. Crete about East-West Church unity and published in “Orthodoxy in Dialogue” – https://orthodoxyindialogue.co…
- Dr. Crete is published in the SAGE Encyclopedia on Marriage and Family Counseling. He writes about Roleplaying – https://books.google.com/books…
- Dr. Crete has published a journal article about resilience strategies of male survivors of sexual abuse in the Journal of Mental Health Counseling (2015) – https://amhcajournal.org/toc/m…
- Dr. Crete published a chapter in the book “A Counselor’s Guide to Working with Men” (2014) on treating men with trauma histories – https://onlinelibrary.wiley.co…
- Dr. Crete is featured with other Atlanta-based Catholic therapists in the Georgia Bulletin in 2013 – https://georgiabulletin.org/ne…